Instructions - BODY
Please refer to one of the following instructions concerning your specific procedure. Please call the office at any time if you have questions or concerns. We are always available to help. If the office is closed you will be given instructions on how to page Dr. Marble.
Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) Post Operative Instructions
- Empty drains when half full or twice a day.
- Take your antibiotic as prescribed and apply Bacitracin to belly button 2 times a day.
- Change gauze twice daily over incisions
- Apply ice packs to area for approximately 3 days (protect your skin with a towel).
- Take Vitamin C 500 milligrams 2 times a day. It is strongly suggested that you begin a multivitamin high in Zinc and Selenium as this aids in wound healing.
- Absolutely no caffeine, tobacco products or alcohol for one month post-op. No second hand smoke.
- Do not shower until 24 hours after your drains are removed.
- Notify Dr. Marble should you develop a fever, redness at the wound site, or drainage at the wound site.
- You may return to abdominal exercises 6-12 months post op. The longer you wait the better.
- You should be wearing your abdominal binder at all times.
- Walk frequently (to avoid blood clots)--lie on your back to sleep.
1st Visit Post-Op (week one)
- Steri-strips will be removed at this appointment. Should they begin to peel away prior to this appointment, trim the ends of the Steri-strips with a scissors (be careful not to harm your skin). Sutures will be removed at this appointment.
2nd Visit Post-Op (week two)
- Your drains will probably be removed at this appointment. You may shower 24 hours after your drains have been removed. Avoid soaking your incision in the bathtub for another 2 weeks!
- You may now begin applying a heating pad set at low for ½ hour per day, minimum. You should protect the skin with a towel, as your sensitivity may not be normal.
3rd Week Post-Op (week three)
- You may begin applying and massaging in Mederma massage cream or Cicaplast (available in our office). There should be no open sites where applying the Mederma or the Cicaplast.
One Month Post-Op
- Wound site follow-up to assess healing process.
Liposuction Post Operative Instructions
- Take your antibiotics as prescribed. Notify Dr. Marble immediately should you develop a fever or redness around your wounds.
- Notify Dr. Marble immediately if your feet begin to swell.
- ABSOLUTELY NO CAFFEINE, ALCOHOL, OR TOBACCO PRODUCTS for one month post-op. (second hand smoke as well).
- Take Vitamin C 500 milligrams twice per day.
- Wear your compression garment 24 hours/day x 7 days a week for the first two weeks post-op. You may take your garment off after 48 hours to spot clean it. Use a mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide. Blow dry the garment on low setting. DO NOT DRY THE GARMENT IN A DRYER.
- Your compression garment should lie flat. Make certain there are no lumps.
- Change the gauze pads over your wounds as needed.
- Red or clear drainage is normal for the first 48 hours.
- Bruising is normal. You may take Arnica tablets and/or apply Arnica cream to bruise sites to assist in bruise reduction.
- Swelling will be present for 2-12 months. You should apply ice for 5-7 days over your garment.
- Reduced sensation is normal in the areas of liposuction.
WALK FREQUENTLY TO AVOID BLOOD CLOTS!
One Week Post-op:
- You may shower five days post-op.
- You will receive instructions concerning massage techniques at your follow-up visit.
- Massage may be easier if done in a warm shower or bath.
- Application of a heating pad aids in reducing swelling. Please test the heating pad warmth on your inner arm.
- Continue to not use any caffeine, alcohol or tobacco products for another three weeks.
- Continue to wear your compression garment all the time.
Three Weeks Post-Op:
- You may begin to use compression garment in either the day or night.
- Continue to massage.